Sunday, April 10, 2005

REVIEW: Out of Order

Out of Order
Maryland Art Place

Maryland Art Place has three beautiful galleries designed for the sensitive and intelligent display of art. Its mission is to promote contemporary visual art by artists working in Maryland. Not fringe.

However, one of MAP’s fund-raising events is fringe: “Out of Order” invites any artists to bring a work of their art, hang it wherever they choose and set a minimum price. The night of the gala party, guests bid on the art works between drinks, food and dancing. MAP splits the selling price of works sold with the artist.

This year 310 artists participated, nearly twice as many as last year. When I first walked into MAP, I was struck by how well the works were installed. It is a daunting challenge to hang so many unrelated works of different media. When I learned that artists hang the works themselves when they bring it, I was even more impressed. These artists clearly knew where to put their art to best advantage.

On Friday afternoon before the gala neither titles, media, nor prices were posted, just the artists’ names. And more than ninety percent of these artists were unfamiliar to me, even though nearly all evidenced a high level of training. Most of the art was quite accessible and in the mainstream of contemporary work.

So I had the fun of just looking at art with very little context—what stood on its own merits for me on that Friday afternoon, what did I especially like then and there? Andy Sanders, mixed media photo collages; Jeffrey Kent, painting; Andrew D. Hoch, wall sculpture; Donald Lee Smyth II, mixed media; Edna K. Emmett, painting; Leslie Sheldon, painting; Chris Peregoy, etching/aquatint?; Doug Henson, photograph ; Denise Tassin, mixed media drawing; Christine Bunting, photography; Judy Sellman, mixed media sculpture; Seth Adelsberger, painting; Patrick Ross, photograph; Melanie Chang, water color; Kathleen Hayes, paper construction; Heidi Smith, mixed media painting, and Andrew Yff table. [James Beau is familiar with the work of 29% of these artists.]

When I returned the next day, I learned titles, media, and prices—either sold or minimum—for some of the works listed above. Approximately one hundred works sold at the gala, and the average price was somewhere around $160—a great bargain, way, way, way below what I would expect these works to sell for in a commercial gallery. For something that will enrich your spirit, mind, and environment for years to come.


Viewed April 7 & 8
www.Mdartplace.org
Maryland Art Place
8 Market Place, Suite 100
410-962-8565 Visit My Current Blog!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey james, how can i contact you? i can't find your email anywhere on this site. mine is sethstudio@hotmail.com

June 11, 2005 at 11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are alone, call this number 800-211-9293. Connect with Real Singles from your local area instantly for only $0.99/min with a $4.99 connection fee. A true Match is only one phone call away 800-211-9293. Meet people with common interests and desires now. Check it out. 800-211-9293

August 11, 2005 at 8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

January 17, 2006 at 11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ever wonder what it's like to live and work in Maryland? Well, let me tell you it's a great place live and raise a family. If you are looking for more information on estate license maryland real try going to http://www.homesinfoguy.com and you'll be pleasantly surprised...

January 18, 2006 at 12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The patient, a young girl, began as follows: You remember that my sister has now only one boy, Charles: she lost the http://startso11.info/mende+1951.html elder one, Otto, while I was still at her house.. Let us console ourselves with the hope http://rebestal.info/cena+benzyny+w+2002+-+2006.html of seeing more of this lady on our return.. And he saw that he pleased http://startso11.info/www.bydgoszcz-sm.salezjanie.pl.html her, and with her open admiration essayed still greater flights of polished manner.. The driver replied that he had just come for two ladies and a gentleman whom he had brought from the Astor http://startso11.info/motopompa.html House.. Me 'n' you can http://startso11.info/www.cinema+city.pl.html fix them terms.. Nothing might http://rebestal.info/satelitarna+mapa+polski.html happen to the boat, but I might trip and fall overboard, and I can't swim.. It is therefore impossible for me not to recognize some casual relationship between the obscurity of the dream content and this state of repression--this http://startso11.info/poligrafia.html incapacity of consciousness.. Podington; but Buller could not http://wowyesaf.info/sut.html be induced to visit him.. He entered the http://startso11.info/www.forum.dvhl.pl.html room--finding the president and secretary holding to their chairs two judges of the Supreme Court, who were also members ex officio , and were begging leave to go away.. Jung of Zurich, Adler of Vienna http://startso11.info/izohan.html and Kempf of Washington, D.. Watkinson, who sat nodding in the rocking-chair, attempting now and then a snatch of conversation, and saying ma'am still more http://startso11.info/rozdrabniacze.html frequently than usual.. I'll slip off my shoes and lie down till Babe ties up the dog in the morning, http://startso11.info/Publiczna+szko%C5%82a+podstawowaw+JedlniLetnisko.html said Ross.. The danger, which is due to the http://startso11.info/nowy+%2Amondeo.html fact that the Forec.. I rather guess she has, smiled Sister Poteet, the grocer's better half, who had http://rebestal.info/do.html taken an afternoon off from the store in order to be present.. Brede; and we d-d-didn't dream what awful lies we'd have to tell, and all the aw-awful mixed-up-ness of it. http://startso11.info/herb+Tessarowicz.html. Heavens! thought Buller, how lucky I was not to come two years ago! And his regrets for not sooner visiting his friend http://startso11.info/1115051-07.html greatly decreased.. It is an encouragement to folly and nonsense--and folly and nonsense are sinful. http://startso11.info/www.barbi.pel..html. Not yet, replied Mr. http://startso11.info/koszatniczka.html. CONTENTS CHAPTER PAGE I DREAMS HAVE A MEANING 1 II THE DREAM MECHANISM http://startso11.info/audi+a3.html 24 III WHY THE DREAM DISGUISES THE DESIRES 57 IV DREAM ANALYSIS 78 V SEX IN DREAMS 104 VI THE WISH IN DREAMS 135 VII THE FUNCTION OF THE DREAM 164 VIII THE PRIMARY AND SECONDARY PROCESS--REGRESSION 186 IX THE UNCONSCIOUS AND CONSCIOUSNESS--REALITY 220 DREAM PSYCHOLOGY I DREAMS HAVE A MEANING In what we may term prescientific days people were in no uncertainty about the interpretation of dreams.. This fellow Ellsworth http://startso11.info/www.emilka.info.pl.html would be too clever to be caught by it...

September 4, 2007 at 4:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

James Beau loves to shoot of his mouth, as if he has something important to say. The fact that you can't contact him shouts that he loves to dish out criticism but can't take it himself.

May 15, 2009 at 11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home